May 3, 2008

surviving the storm






We were awakened at 2 am on Friday, May 2nd, to the sound of a freight train passing through our house. The house was shaking and the noise outside was deafening. Chris and I both shot out of bed without even having to say a word--we new there was a tornado, and we just hoped we could get to the basement in time. I had our newborn baby in my arms and I ran to Jonah's room to grab him out of bed. I didn't even have time to get a good hold on him, so he was hanging upside down as I stumbled down the stairs as fast as I could move. Chris was behind me with Mia, and both kids were not happy to be awakened as you can imagine. My best friend, Deb, was in town and we're not sure we can convince her to come back after that night. The storm passed as quickly as it came and the entire neighborhood was using flashlights to survey the damage. The power was out, of course, so as soon as the sun rose, we were able to view the horrific scene. After the trees were cleared from the rodes, we were able to explore the neighborhood. We felt very fortnate that our property was only minorly damaged compared to some of the neighbors. The tornado was classified as an F3, but it was only on the ground for a short while. It struck the hardest about 5 or 6 blocks from our house. Thankfully there were no casualities from this twister. We feel most blessed to have been protected.
.


12 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

Oh my. Seeing all the pictures...it is just surreal! Isn't it weird how tornados will pick up some things (like the grill hood) and other stuff doesn't move at all! WEIRD! I am so glad you guys are ok, but I am really sorry about your tree and playset! stink! AND your AC unit! ahh! hopefully all that can be replaced! (soon!) :) love ya! (forgive the 7 am call!) :)

S&J Jones Family said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you guys we so quick and that you didn't get hurt. I am sooo sorry about the damage! Keep us updated!

Cristi said...

I was almost in tears reading about your scare! I'm so happy to hear that no one was hurt. (and my condolences on your loss of property!)

naturegirl said...

I'm so glad to hear you all are okay! What a terrible scare to awake to at 2am (especially with your tiny little newborn). I hope the damage is easily fixed.

kat and jason said...

hey---i'm glad you are ok. it makes me teary eyed to see and think about that horror. hope you can get everything back to normal and be ok. glad you are ok

Tiff and Dave said...

Seriously...the way you described having to race out of bed was freaking crazy! I can only imagine how scary that would be! It was always hard to know if the warnings were real, but I'm sure after this you guys will take every siren seriously. I heard that the siren's didn't go off though, cuz no one saw it coming! That makes it even scarier! I'm so glad you guys are OK! So sorry about the damage! This is the part of KC that I don't miss!

Polly said...

I'm so glad that you guys are safe and sound! What a scare! Those pictures are crazy.

Tiffany said...

Sorry to hear about the damage! It seems to really put things in perspective though when things like that happen, glad you are all safe. If we can help with anything, please call!

Tiffany said...

And let me know when you no longer have family in town, I would love to bring a meal over and see Brady if you would like.

Jana said...

we're so glad you're ok. Glad? That's an understatement.
You were protected! :)

Love you guys!

Natalie N said...

Oh wow! What a scary experience!! I have goosebumps after reading this. What a blessing that you guys were safe. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Corinne said...

Yikes! We are so glad you are ok! And congratulations on your cute baby if we haven't told you yet.